Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this recipe by trying to mix ingrediants together that were not only tasty and good for you but easy to make for my family after work. My husband and four year old LOVE it! I serve it with garlic and cheese Bisquick drop bisquits. I don't add any salt to this chili because the broth and sausage are salty enough.
- 1 lb lean turkey sausage, cut into dime size pieces
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 bunch broccoli
- garlic, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot.
- Cook onions until translucent.
- Add sausage and brown well.
- Add garlic, sage, parsely and celery.
- Deglaze pot with chicken broth until all sausage pieces are scraped from bottom of pot.
- Add remaining chicken broth and simmer.
- Add 1 can of northern beans and 1 can of cannelini beans. (Strained slightly in can. Leave some of the juice.).
- Take the remaining can of cannelini beans, strained slightly and pour into bowl. Use your hands and "mash the beans." It's messy but adds a some starchy thickness to the chili.
- Add smashed beans to the pot and stir well.
- Chop just the florets of the brocolli into small pieces and add to the pot.
- Simmer until ready to serve. (About 20 minutes.)
- You can substitute chopped spinich for the brocolli and/or add cheese when serving.