Recipe by berry271
From the Dec/Jan 2008 issue of TOH, submitted by Marie Parker. I made a few changes to suit our preferences. You could also make this sandwich in a Panini maker.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (may also be labeled chickpeas)
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices farmer cheese
- 8 slices cooked turkey
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Chop pepper.
- Combine beans, pepper, and next 5 ingredients (mayo through cumin) in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a small dish, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion and tomato.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread and prepared hummus (the garbanzo bean spread you just made) on the other side.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and place four slices of bread (butter side down) in the pan.
- Top each slice of bread with one slice of cheese, 2 slices turkey, onion, tomato, and one slice remaining bread (hummus side down).
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.