2 hrs 45 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
I'm thinking of making something different this year for Thanksgiving, I came across this recipe for a Turkey Roulade via Emeril Lagasse. Recipe makes 2 cups Wild Mushroom Stuffing for 1 Turkey Roulade
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- 1 cup fresh white bread, crust removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices apple-smoked bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake and oyster, about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 lb) boneless turkey breast, half
- 2 cups prepared wild mushroom stuffing
- 10 ounces thick-sliced apple-smoked bacon
- 1-=Wild Mushroom Stuffing=-.
- 2In a small bowl, soak bread cubes in milk.
- 3In a saute pan, saute bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and all fat is rendered.
- 4Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and are soft, about 4 minutes.
- 6Deglaze with Marsala and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- 8Squeeze excess milk from bread and place bread in a large mixing bowl.
- 9Add eggs and mix well, breaking up pieces of bread.
- 10Add mushroom mixture, chopped thyme and oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 11-=Turkey Roulade=-.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 13On a large cutting board, place turkey breast on top of plastic wrap and cut so that it opens up to one large flat piece of even thickness.
- 14Cover with additional plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness of just under 1/2-inch.
- 15Remove plastic wrap from top of turkey and spread stuffing evenly over middle portion of turkey breast and roll it up, using the plastic wrap to help keep the roll in place.
- 16On a large piece of parchment paper, lay the slices of bacon down so that they just overlap.
- 17The resulting "blanket" of bacon should be long enough to cover the entire length of the turkey roulade.
- 18Lift the turkey roulade onto the bacon slices and carefully remove the plastic wrap.
- 19Using the parchment as a handle, carefully roll up roulade, "tootsie-roll" fashion. Twist ends tightly.
- 20Place this roll on top of a large piece of aluminum foil and roll entire roulade, paper and all, with the aluminum foil.
- 21Crimp ends closed. Bake in a roasting pan with a rack for 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature reads 155°F.
- 22Let roulade rest for 15 minutes, then slice into 1-inch thick slices and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Roulade With Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.9
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 220.9 mg
- Sodium 214.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 53.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
prepared wild mushroom stuffing