Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
When Turkey day comes will you be ready.I made the turkey using this recipe and the champagne adds a wonderful taste as long as you baste along the way.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 12 -15 lbs turkey, ready to cook
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, peeled, sliced, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup consomme
- 1 pint champagne (korbel or brut)
- 1 pint flour
- Start oven at hot (425 degrees F.).
- Mix salt, pepper, and celery salt. Rub into turkey thoroughly, inside and out. Place Turkey in roasting pan. Rub 3 tablespoons Butter over breast and down sides. Roast 30 minutes.
- Combine onions, thyme, marjoram, parsley, and consommé. Pour over turkey. Reduce heat to moderate (325° F.) and continue roasting another hour. Pour champagne over turkey. Roast an hour and then place breast side down. Baste frequently and continue roasting an additional 1½ hours or until turkey is done: 190-195 degrees Internal Temperature – Use a thermometer. Remove turkey to warmed platter.
- Cover with foil. Let stand in warm place.
- Strain pan gravy into a saucepan. Melt remaining 1-tablespoon butter in a cup. Stir in flour smoothly. Cook in microwave for 1 minute. Add cooked flour mixture to strained pan gravy gradually. Stir and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve in warmed gravy boat.