Recipe by LARavenscroft
I've been making this recipe for a long time and our family really enjoys it. The recipe calls for turkey, but you can substitue cooked chicken (which I do quite often). This is a nice casserole on a cold winter night.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm not concerned about gluten-free so made this recipe with more standard ingredients, but, after making & consuming this dish, I did pass the recipe on to my daughter who has gluten concerns! I made this with chopped chicken breast & steamed fresh broccoli! For us the thing that made it really special was the inclusion of the toasted almonds ~ Definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag game]
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and well drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fine dry gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered & toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth and the rice to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let the rice stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and mustard.
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese; continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted and set aside.
- Spread broccoli in the bottom of a 10x6-inch baking dish.
- Over the broccoli spread the cooked rice and the cooked turkey.
- Pour cheese sauce over all.
- Combine bread crumbs, almonds, and butter; toss to mix.
- Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or till bubbly at edges.