Recipe by Becca- B
Comfort food at its best. A family favorite and a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. Another keeper from the taste of Nova Scotia cookbook.
Top Review by QueenBee49444
My prep time was a little longer since I had no left over turkey so I cooked some chicken breasts while the carrots simmered. The mixture (which tasted delicious) thickened but was not thick enough. I assumed it would thicken more in the oven but instead it got soupier. Next time I'll add a little more flour and make sure it is good and thick before turning into the casserole dish. The crust was fantastic, Nice & flakey on top and oh, such good flavor. Made for Fall 2008 PAC-O
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey or 4 cups chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked carrots
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter.
- Add mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, do not brown.
- Add chicken stock and 2 cups of milk. Stir to combine and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add thyme, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mixture should thicken, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add diced turkey and mixed vegetables, stirring to combine.
- Spoon into greases 12 cup casserole.
- Top with dumpling crust.
- DUMPLING CRUST.
- In a bowl, blend remaining ingredients except milk and butter.
- Cut butter in with pastry blender to form a coarse crumb.
- Add milk, stirring just to combine.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead a few times.
- Roll out to fit top of casserole.
- Place directly on top of turkey mixture and cut steam vents.
- Bake at 400 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To save time I often use frozen mixed vegetables instead of the peas and carrots.