1/1 Photo of Turkey Pot Pie With Dumpling Crust
Becca- B's Note:
Comfort food at its best. A family favorite and a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. Another keeper from the taste of Nova Scotia cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey or 4 cups chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked carrots
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1In a large saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter.
- 2Add mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, do not brown.
- 4Add chicken stock and 2 cups of milk. Stir to combine and bring just to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and add thyme, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- 6Mixture should thicken, simmer for 10 minutes.
- 7Add diced turkey and mixed vegetables, stirring to combine.
- 8Spoon into greases 12 cup casserole.
- 9Top with dumpling crust.
- 10DUMPLING CRUST.
- 11In a bowl, blend remaining ingredients except milk and butter.
- 12Cut butter in with pastry blender to form a coarse crumb.
- 13Add milk, stirring just to combine.
- 14Turn dough onto floured surface and knead a few times.
- 15Roll out to fit top of casserole.
- 16Place directly on top of turkey mixture and cut steam vents.
- 17Bake at 400 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 18To save time I often use frozen mixed vegetables instead of the peas and carrots.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Pot Pie With Dumpling Crust
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.7
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 210.8 mg
- Sodium 837.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 55.5 g