Recipe by ~Bekah~
Posted as a request. This is ONLY for crock pots with removable stoneware linings.
Top Review by Calophi
This came out fabulously. The seasoning was perfect and the only change I made was I used one huge onion instead of two smaller ones. The cornbread topping was a lot better than I expected and pretty thick, too, even though I have a fairly wide crockpot. We eat smaller servings so we got 8 out of this instead of only 6.
- 2 lbs boneless turkey breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots or 2 cups mixed vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- combine 1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Toss turkey with the flour/spice mixture and place in crock pot.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, peas and carrots, garlic and mushrooms.
- Pour broth and sherry over all and stir to blend, Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-9.
- Turn crock pot to high while preparing the cornbread.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Blend remaining 1/3 cup flour with 1/3 cup cold water and stir until smooth, then blend into the stew in the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Blend in egg, milk and oil.
- Pour over the thickened stew.
- Take removable stoneware out of the crock pot and place in heated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cornbread is brown.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.