Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Posted as a request. This is ONLY for crock pots with removable stoneware linings.
- 2 lbs boneless turkey breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots or 2 cups mixed vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- combine 1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Toss turkey with the flour/spice mixture and place in crock pot.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, peas and carrots, garlic and mushrooms.
- Pour broth and sherry over all and stir to blend, Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-9.
- Turn crock pot to high while preparing the cornbread.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Blend remaining 1/3 cup flour with 1/3 cup cold water and stir until smooth, then blend into the stew in the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Blend in egg, milk and oil.
- Pour over the thickened stew.
- Take removable stoneware out of the crock pot and place in heated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cornbread is brown.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.
This came out fabulously. The seasoning was perfect and the only change I made was I used one huge onion instead of two smaller ones. The cornbread topping was a lot better than I expected and pretty thick, too, even though I have a fairly wide crockpot. We eat smaller servings so we got 8 out of this instead of only 6.
I loved the concept of this and think it is a great starter recipe. I think it needs more spices and DH didn't like the way I spiced it so I will have to experiment a little. I only used 1 Tbs of oil in the crust and didn't miss the rest. I also used ground turkey meat and crumbled it into large chunks since I didn't have a solid turkey breast. My crock pot is tall rather than wide so the crust was rather thick and underdone. It would work best for one that is more wide. Also 6 servings of this dish would be a large plate! We served 3 last night and didn't eat half of it.
Great recipe. The household loved it even after I forgot to add the frozen vegetables. I worried about the corn bread topping and thought that it would be too soggy, but it was just fine even as leftovers. Will definetly make again and follow the recipe next time.