1 hr 15 mins
Dobby The House-Elf's Note:
This is a recipe I got from my Russian Mother-in-law, although I think its origins are in Uzbekistan. A typical rice dish, usually cooked with lamb - our version is with turkey breast. An entire meal in a pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice the onions and begin frying them in a 10 liter pot.
- 2Grate the carrots and put them aside.
- 3Dice the turkey meat and when the onions become translucent, add the meat to the pot. Allow to cook while occasionally stirring until all the liquid released from the meat has evaporated entirely. Allow to fry for another minute.
- 4Add the carrots, salt, paprika and cumin seeds. Fry until the oil takes on an orange colour from the carrots.
- 5Measure the rice in cups before you add it to the pot.
- 6Add the rice and stir well.
- 7Important: You must not stir the rice once the water has been added.
- 8Add the water - you will need double the amount of water to rice. If the rice was 7 cups, then add 14 cups of water.
- 9Allow to simmer, covered over a low flame for 10-20 minutes.
- 10Turn off the flame when you see holes in the rice (usually appear when the water has evaporated.).
- 11Allow to sit, covered for another 5-10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Ploff
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.1
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 2194.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 30.1 g