Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This picadillo has just about everything in it that I like, being a little different from the others here on Zaar. It's from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook and can be eaten alone or stuffed inside a chile relleno or warm whole wheat tortilla.
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup manzanilla olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat canola oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Add ground turkey, breaking up into small pieces as it browns.
- Drain fat and then add onion through salt.
- Cook stirring often about 3-5 minutes.
- Add olives, raisins and capers and simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, stir in peas.
- Cook for one more minute until peas are heated through.