Recipe by Judimae
I have always loved Picadillo and got excited to find this one using ground turkey. The bonus to this recipe is that those who are diabetic can enjoy this too without guilt. This recipe comes from a magazine clipping sometime last year (2007).
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves, you can use more to taste
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 15 small pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the turkey in a nonstick skillet with the onion, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink about 6 to 7 minutes. Mix in the oregano and cloves.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, olives, raisins, and ground red pepper. Cook stirring every once in a while for about 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and salt if you are using and cook until it is heated through.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 3/4 lean meat, 1/2 fruit. 2 3/4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.