Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Long before sloppy joes became an American classic, picadillo was a fixture in Cuba. It is economical, easy and quick -- a winning combination. In this version, inspired by *Eating Well* turkey is used as a lighter alternative to ground beef. Serve this over white rice with Almost Fried Plantains - Virtually Fat Free and a salad.
- 2 eggs (optional)
- 396.89 g lean ground turkey or 396.89 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, diced small 1/4 inch or smaller
- 177.44 ml chopped scallion, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 19.71 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 354.88 ml water
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- If using eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Drain, peel and slice and set aside.
- Cook meat and onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling the turkey with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. If you like, you can blot off any excess oil, more desireable if you are using ground beef.
- Add 1/2 cup scallions, diced carrots and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne. Continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add raisins, olives, tomato paste, water and stir to blend. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Garnish with the remaining scallions and the hard-cooked eggs, if desired.
I omitted the eggs and used 1 pound of ground turkey. It was very sweet and savory and tasted even better the next day. Not only will I make this again, I will double the recipe. Thanks, Toni!
5 Stars, this is a fine picadillo, love the salsa-like mixture, I dig the olives in this with the Mexican spices. Made for Photo Tag.