Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Easily grilled on a panini press or George Foreman grill.
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup basil pesto (commercial and homemade)
- 1 -2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 lb thinly sliced oven-roasted turkey breast
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- melted butter
- Preheat panini press or other sandwich maker--I use a George Foreman grill.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with pesto on one side and the other 4 slices of bread with mayonnaise.
- Divide the turkey, tomato slices, onion slices, and cheese equally among mayonnaise-dressed bread slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices, pesto side down; brush tops with butter.
- Brush the bottom of the panini press with butter.
- Add 2 sandwiches, close lid, and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Repeat to make the other two sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Very good. Love the taste of the pesto in this. I scaled this down to one sandwich, and had to use a sharp cheddar, as I was out of gouda. Delish. Thanks!
As I said in another panini review, I got on a panini kick when Austin got iced in for 3 days, last winter. I tried several recipes, and I really enjoyed this one. I think the pesto makes it unique; the flavor goes a long way! Thanks!