Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is a wonderful sandwich that I came across on the food network.com website.... We love fixing sandwiches in the summer and eating them with a small salad for lunch..... I hope you enjoy this as well....
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) ground turkey burgers
- 8 slices multi-grain bread
- 8 slices monterey jack cheese or 8 slices American cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with some salt and pepper, and cook until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Put in a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the skillet and add another tablespoon of oil.
- Season the turkey patties with salt and pepper, and cook in the remaining oil until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet. Wipe out the pan.
- Divide the onions among 4 bread slices, and top with a slice of cheese, a patty, another slice of cheese, and a slice of bread.
- Spread the top and bottom of the sandwiches with some butter.
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the sandwiches, in batches if needed, turning once, until lightly browned and the cheese melts, about 2 minutes per side.
- Halve the sandwiches and serve with cranberry sauce, if desired.
I thought the sandwich was damn near perfect, but I decided to add a spin in the form of seedless raspberry jam so it tasted like a Monte Cristo. YUM!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe!
These are a great change from a regular turkey burger. We keep Costco turkey burger patties in the freezer for quick burgers after work on Friday nights, and they worked great for this. Cooked them on the Foreman grill. I used light Russian rye from my favorite bakery. I will add more onion next time though (we love Walla Walla sweets grilled or sauteed!) Served with some oven-fries and a cold beer (non-alcoholic for me). Thanks for a great, quick dinner!
Made up half a recipe for lunch for two of us & these melts were GREAT, especially when served with the suggested cranberry sauce! Wonderful taste, too, using the multi-grain bread (along with colby monterey Jack cheese)! Definitely will make these again! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag]