Recipe by Carol G.
this is the grand prize winner from "Light & Tasty" magazine June/July '05 issue. Easy to make,light in calories, nutritious & delicious. What more could a person want?
Top Review by Ck2plz
Sooo delish! This did not lack flavor at all. IMO, the fennel is a must in the soup. I am not crazy about it either but the blend of all the spices creates a wonderful pot of soup. I did use extra garlic and I left out the red pepper flakes. I will add the celery and carrots next time as someone did.
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (rinsed & drained) or 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to pkg.directions,drain & rinse in hot water.
- In a soup kettle cook the turkey,onions & garlic until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in broth,beans,tomatoes & seasonings.
- Bring to a boil then simmer, uncovered for
- 10 minutes.
- Add pasta & cook till heated through. Serve with some crusty bread & dinner is ready!