Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've had this recipe for probably forty years, so I have no memory about where I got it. It is absolutely scrumptions. I've used it for family meals but also for company. I like to use large pieces of the white meat.
- 3 -4 cups cooked turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, fine and dry
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white wine, dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F Beat eggs with salt and pepper. Combine Parmesan cheese with crumbs. Dip turkey pieces in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture. Place in a well-greased shallow baking dish. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- Heat oil in skillet, add onions and cook until very light brown. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, and oregano, and heat thoroughly. Pour over turkey. Arrange mozzarella slices on turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes longer.