Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you have a panini maker, preheat it and use according to directions in place of the following instructions.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 0.5 (8 1/2 ounce) can sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and olive oil reserved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small shallot
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves (packed)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (reserved from)
- sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) ciabatta, loaf (or sliced sourdough bread)
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, grated
- 8 slices thinly cut turkey breast
- 8 large spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Toss pine nuts with canola oil. Add to saucepan, and toast for 5 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add toasted pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes,.
- balsamic vinegar, capers, garlic, shallot, and basil to a food processor. Puree.
- Stream in olive oil until spread is the desired consistency, about 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Add cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Cut ciabatta loaf into four equal pieces; then cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- Brush crust side of each with olive oil.
- Spread 1/4 of the sun-dried tomato pesto on one side of four bread slices.
- Top with 1/4 of the olives, 1/4 of the grated cheese, 2 slices turkey, 2 spinach leaves, and other bread slice.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a grill pan over medium heat. Add 1-2 sandwiches and place a heavy pan on top of it to press it down.
- Grill for 3 minutes, pressing down occasionally, then turn over and continue cooking until the bread is toasted, about 2 minutes more.
- Grill the remaining sandwiches.
amazing flavors - especially in the pesto. The sandwich really tastes good with any creamy cheese such as a munster or even a fresh mozzarella. The pesto is perfect - I'll never look for a pesto recipe again. It;s a keeper, I plan on making extra and freezing in ice cube trays!
this was soooo goooood!!! the sun dried tomato pesto was awesome. it really gave it a little kick. i will definitely make again. thank you. reviewed for RSC # 11