Recipe by Recipe Reader
I put this together to use up some leftover turkey, inspired by some of the great soup recipes and their reviews here on Recipezaar. I stirred in some leftover gravy, but I know I won't always have that in the fridge. Feel free to stir in things you have in the fridge.
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon herbes de provence (or any dried herb of your choice, like thyme)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey, cooked and diced (or chicken)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt half the butter, add onion and cook for about five minutes, until softened.
- Add remaining butter, mushrooms, 1 tablespoon sherry and cook for five more minutes.
- Add the green onions, garlic, dried herbs, black pepper and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice mix with the seasoning packet and 3 1/2 cups of water. Stir in the bay leaf, turkey (or chicken) and sherry.
- Bring to a boil then cover, lower heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.