Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another addition to the dozen variations on turkey hash available here. The original recipe is courtesy of *Eating Well* magazine and presented here includes my modifications. A wonderful way to create a fresh take on your holiday leftovers. Serve at brunch or a light supper with poached eggs or just simply enjoy it as a one dish meal. If served along with lots of other items, this will serve six, otherwise 4 adults.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/8 -inch pieces (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 medium apple, washed, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt or 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked skinless turkey or 3 cups cooked skinless chicken, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add apple and cook until everything is just tender, but not mushy, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a large bowl; mash. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Add the remaining potatoes and apples to the mash and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey, thyme, and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until the poultry is heated through.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and stir. Next add the reserved sweet potato mixture to the skillet and stir to mix. Press on the hash with a spatula and cook for 5 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Cut the hash into several rough sections. Flip and cook until the undersides are browned, about 3 minutes longer. (I have never successfully flipped any hash, but I am impatient and enjoy messy comfort food.).
- Serve immediately.
- If prepared with yogurt, this recipe is WW Core.