Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can prepare the soup/chicken mixture in advance and refrigerate, just warm in the microwave or on top of the stove before topping with the crescent crust. I have also added in some cooked cubed potatoes to the filling mixture. This casserole is easy and delicious! You can double all amounts and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish if desired.
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped (or use about 5 green onions, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (you can use 2 cans soup if desired)
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked turkey or 3 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- seasoning salt or white salt
- black pepper, to tatste
- 1 (8 ounce) can crescent rolls
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (can use more or less cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (can use more)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch-inch casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in the mushroom slices and saute until they loose there moisture.
- Add in the onions, garlic and celery; saute for about 4 minutes, add in a pinch of cayenne pepper if using).
- Add in the cream of chicken soup, mayo, sour cream, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, cooked cubed turkey or chicken and sliced water chestnuts; bring to a boil and simmer for about 7-8 minutes.
- Season the mixture with seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Unroll the tube of crescent rolls and separate into two rectangles (trimming to fit the baking dish).
- Place the dough rectangles over the hot chicken mixture in the baking dish (the soup mixture MUST be hot before topping with the crescent dough!).
- In a small bowl mix together 1 cup grated cheddar cheese with sliced almonds, then sprinkle over the dough.
- Drizzle with melted butter all over the top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the crescent topping crust is browned.
- Serve immediately.