1/4 Photos of Turkey (Or Beef) Enchilada Casserole
Crystal Rose's Note:
This is a hearty but healthy meal that is easy to put together. Lean ground turkey and reduced-fat cheese make this a good low-fat casserole. We like tot top ours with Tabasco and low-fat sour cream. Choose your favorite salsa (chunky is my favorite). You could also use beef and Mexican blend cheese for a different dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1In a large saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook the turkey (or beef), green pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- 2Stir in the beans, salsa, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 3Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with six tortillas, covering the sauce.
- 4Spread half of the remaining meat sauce onto tortillas; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- 5Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- 6Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey (Or Beef) Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.0
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.7 mg
- Sodium 1242.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 28.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese