Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a hearty but healthy meal that is easy to put together. Lean ground turkey and reduced-fat cheese make this a good low-fat casserole. We like tot top ours with Tabasco and low-fat sour cream. Choose your favorite salsa (chunky is my favorite). You could also use beef and Mexican blend cheese for a different dish.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook the turkey (or beef), green pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the beans, salsa, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with six tortillas, covering the sauce.
- Spread half of the remaining meat sauce onto tortillas; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
AMAZING!!! This was so good!! The only thing DH wanted to change was he said to add 2 lbs of ground turkey next time. But he is a carnivore so I am sure the average person wouldn't find this lacking in meat! I personally did not! This will be made again and again and I love that it is actually healthy and not loaded with fat and calories...try finding that at your neighborhood Mexican food place! haha! Thanks for posting Crystal Rosa...this was a WINNER!
Very nice and easy. We loved it. I made to take on a 2 hr trip to family ger together. Traveled very well. Made for PAC 2007 fall.
I just had to give this a 5 star rating per DH. He went back for seconds even though it had turkey meat in it. I cut the recipe in half, prepared it in a 7X11 dish. I used left over turkey taco meat so instead of the Mexican style tomatoes I used regular dice tomatoes. To add some heat I used El Pato hot Mexican tomato sauce and threw in a chopped jalapeno. I also used Mexican blend cheese. This had such a great flavor that it will be made again and again. Thanks, Crystal Rose for posting.