Recipe by gailanng
After Thanksgiving I give an extra thanks for a recipe to use up that leftover turkey. Can be prepared and refrigerated night before, let stand 30 minutes before baking. Can sub chicken. See note below for freezing.
Top Review by kathleenthuman
Had enough turkey left over to try two different casseroles, and this was the best. My husband preferred the other one but his tastebuds aren't as refined as mine... Made the recipe exactly, as I always do the first time, and have no suggestions for improvement! Just really delicious.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemed-sized egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey or 3 cups chicken
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to directions; drain well; set aside.
- Heat butter and saute onion and bell pepper until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth; cook 1 minute; stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in noodles, 1/2 cup Parmesan, poppy seeds, salt, cayenne and cooked turkey.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 12x8 inch oven proof pan and top with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 45 -55 minutes.
- May be frozen unbaked. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours in advance. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.