Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
After Thanksgiving I give an extra thanks for a recipe to use up that leftover turkey. Can be prepared and refrigerated night before, let stand 30 minutes before baking. Can sub chicken. See note below for freezing.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemed-sized egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey or 3 cups chicken
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to directions; drain well; set aside.
- Heat butter and saute onion and bell pepper until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth; cook 1 minute; stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in noodles, 1/2 cup Parmesan, poppy seeds, salt, cayenne and cooked turkey.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 12x8 inch oven proof pan and top with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 45 -55 minutes.
- May be frozen unbaked. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours in advance. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Had enough turkey left over to try two different casseroles, and this was the best. My husband preferred the other one but his tastebuds aren't as refined as mine... Made the recipe exactly, as I always do the first time, and have no suggestions for improvement! Just really delicious.
Loved this easy casserole. I was low on milk so used half milk and half turkey broth. So good.
We are not big casserole people normally, but we're getting ready to leave for a long vacation and were trying to get rid of stuff in the frig/freezer. This took care of that! And it was delicious! We were happily surprised! And next time we'll make it just because we are craving it! Really, really good!