Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This comforting casserole is a play on Tuna Noodle Casserole, taken up a notch. By using Pancetta and Extra Sharp White Cheddar, this casserole is comfort food with a touch of something special! Also, feel free to use regular bacon, or turkey bacon, and whatever other cheese happens to be your favorite! This is one of those versatile recipes that proves cooking is art! Do what suites you! My boyfriend and I are also on Weight Watchers, so we used reduced fat-sodium Cream of Mushroom and No-Yolk Egg Noodles. I sauteed our mushroom/onion combo with the pancetta grease and a 1/3 cup water, and drained before combining it with everything else. I find you get the flavor with out all the fat if you add a little water! Just make sure you drain it well. Watery Casserole = pretty gross. If you aren't using a non-stick pan, use a teaspoon or two of butter, but not oil. It'll mess with the flavor.
- 8 slices pancetta or 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 -3 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large sautee pan, fry pancetta. Cook till done, but not crisp. When done, pull out, pat with paper towel to blot off excess grease, hold pancetta to side.
- In same pan, add garlic,onions, and mushrooms. Add the water, if using a non-stick pan. If not, add the butter.Cook till onions are translucent, but slightly firm and till mushrooms are done. If you added water, DRAIN NOW! If not, proceed to the next step! (I usually preheat the over to 350 before I add the turkey, gives the oven plenty of time to preheat).
- In a separate pot, bring salted water to a boil, cook noodles.
- After the onion-mushroom mixture is done, add the ground turkey. Add Italian seasonings and cayenne pepper. Taste after turkey is cooked thoroughly, adjust seasonings as you wish.
- Next, add the cream of mushroom soup while still on the heat, just to mix everything nicely.
- Once the noodles are done, place them a medium casserole dish. Pour turkey soup mixture over top. Stir to combine, add cheese. Top with pancetta.
- Hit till bubbly and ENJOY!
This is a delicious way to use up leftover turkey. As another review mentioned, I too was in search of a way to use up leftover turkey so I did not use ground turkey. My husband and I agree that it may not be good with ground turkey but we are biased against ground turkey, ymmv. I put in an extra garlic, black pepper, and cayenne pepper for my seasonings. I drained all but 2 T of bacon drippings and added another T of butter so it was really rich. I used parmesan cheese right out of the green canister for my cheese. Absolutely yummy! I heated it up the next day for lunch and it was still delicious. Thank you, Manda C for this easy, satisfying casserole!
I was looking for a leftover turkey recipe so I used chunks of turkey. Additionally, I didn't have everything so I used ham and swiss with bow tie for the pancetta and cheddar and egg noodles. Everyone loved it!! I will make this again and again.