Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
After Thanksgiving or any time you have leftover turkey stock this risotto is an excellent way to use it. Note on risotto: You must use risotto rice for this recipe or it will not work. These rices—Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano—contain special starches that slough off when you stir the rice, creating a creamy sauce without any added cream.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 149.68 g fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh sage, chopped
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 709.77 ml turkey stock
- 56.69 g fresh goat cheese
- black pepper
- Bring the stock, plus an additional 2 cups of water, to a simmer.
- Heat the butter in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to brown. Add the shallots and mushrooms and toss to combine. Salt them well and sauté until the shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage and rice and stir well. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Add 1 cup of the simmering stock. Stirring constantly, let the stock evaporate before adding another 1/2 cup. Repeat, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is al dente, cooked through but still a little firm. This will take about 20-30 minutes.
- When the rice is al dente, add the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Add the black pepper and stir again. Serve at once.