I'm always looking for wonderful ways to use leftover turkey. This is a great soup recipe from Gourmet Magazine! Soup's on!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 turkey carcass, broken into large pieces
- 4 1/2 quarts water
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 pieces peeled fresh gingerroot (1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large boiling potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (available at Asian markets, specialty foods shops, and some supermarkets)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- coriander sprig (to garnish)
- 1In a large kettle or stockpot combine the carcass with 4 1/2 quarts of the water, or enough to cover it, and simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- 2Strain the stock through a large sieve into a large bowl, return it to the kettle, and boil it until it is reduced to about 10 cups.
- 3In a blender purée the garlic and the gingerroot with the remaining 1/3 cup water.
- 4In a heavy kettle heat the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it cook the purée, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated.
- 5Add the potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes, the onion, the carrots, and 5 cups of the stock and simmer the mixture, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft.
- 6In the blender purée the mixture it batches until it is smooth, transfering it as it is puréed to another large kettle.
- 7Stir in the remaining stock, the coconut milk, the lime juice, and salt to taste, simmer the soup for 10 minutes, and stir in the chopped coriander.
- 8The soup may be made 2 days in advance, cooled completely, uncovered, and kept covered and chilled.
- 9The soup keeps, covered and frozen, for 2 months.
- 10Serve the soup garnished with coriander sprigs.
- 11Makes about 14 cups, serving 10.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Mulligatawny Soup with Coriander
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: