1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
My mom loves mulligatawny - a thick curry soup with the unusual addition of apple. I used leftover turkey instead of chicken, and thickened the works with lentils and rice too. A finishing dash of cilantro and lime juice lightens up the flavours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped finely
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 serrano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups turkey stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried calendula flowers
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, well shaken (lite is fine)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey (I used a mix of light and dark)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Melt oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot (I used a cast iron Dutch oven) over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon and turmeric. Cook 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- 4Add the broth, water and calendula.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil and add the lentils, rice and applesauce.
- 6Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7With an immersion blender (or in batches with a standard blender), puree until smooth.
- 8Add cilantro, coconut milk, lime juice and turkey meat. Place back over medium heat.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Mulligatawny
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 81.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: