Recipe by Wildflour
This is fantastic warm or cold! If serving cold, bake first, then cool. Great for picnics and BBQ's!
Top Review by MarieRynr
I hope you don't mind but I did this using sandwich sized ciabatta rolls and it was deliicous! I loved all the flavours although at first I was a bit hesitant to use cucumber, but then thought what the heck and went for it! I used smoked turkey. I WILL make this again!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round sourdough loaf
- 1⁄3 cup Italian salad dressing, the v and o kind not the creamy kind
- 6 -8 large fresh spinach leaves, stems removed, can sub baby spinach if preferred
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (can sub provolone or colby-monterey jack cheese, if preferred)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices deli turkey, thin slices
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven or grill to 350ºF.
- Cut 1" slice off of top of bread, remove inside leaving a 1/2-inch shell.
- Lightly brush inside of shell and top with dressing.
- Place spinach leaves on bottom, overlapping.
- Toss cheese together and sprinkle half on bottom over spinach leaves.
- Then add in order, layering, the onion, turkey, tomato and cucumber.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Put top of bread loaf back on.
- Wrap in foil.
- Bake 45 minutes in oven, or about 30-45 minutes on grill, covered.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve hot or cold.
- About 4-6 servings.
- *If you'd prefer to not bake this at all, just use sliced cheeses instead of grating it! :).