Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is fantastic warm or cold! If serving cold, bake first, then cool. Great for picnics and BBQ's!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round sourdough loaf
- 1⁄3 cup Italian salad dressing, the v and o kind not the creamy kind
- 6 -8 large fresh spinach leaves, stems removed, can sub baby spinach if preferred
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (can sub provolone or colby-monterey jack cheese, if preferred)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices deli turkey, thin slices
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- Heat oven or grill to 350ºF.
- Cut 1" slice off of top of bread, remove inside leaving a 1/2-inch shell.
- Lightly brush inside of shell and top with dressing.
- Place spinach leaves on bottom, overlapping.
- Toss cheese together and sprinkle half on bottom over spinach leaves.
- Then add in order, layering, the onion, turkey, tomato and cucumber.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Put top of bread loaf back on.
- Wrap in foil.
- Bake 45 minutes in oven, or about 30-45 minutes on grill, covered.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve hot or cold.
- About 4-6 servings.
- *If you'd prefer to not bake this at all, just use sliced cheeses instead of grating it! :).
I hope you don't mind but I did this using sandwich sized ciabatta rolls and it was deliicous! I loved all the flavours although at first I was a bit hesitant to use cucumber, but then thought what the heck and went for it! I used smoked turkey. I WILL make this again!
I tried this with ham instead of turkey, and while it had good flavor, the cheese didn't melt fully, even after 45 minutes in the oven. The bottom of the sourdough round had a pizza crunch to it, which I enjoyed.