Recipe by Lady in love :)
I cooked this for my husband and guests, what a hit ! Everyone loved it. Everyone likes the end of the meatloaf, this way we all get our own.!!! Freezes well for a quick dinner later too !
Top Review by Just_Ducky!!
Excellent and simple dish that all three of us loved. Due to the cost of ground turkey & chicken here, I got creative, purchased on sale chicken thighs, de-boned and ground them myself (bit labour intensive but worth it). I didn't realise I was out of Parmesan, so used ricotta for the cheese and rolled oats instead of breadcrumbs, rosemary in place of having no chives. I wasn't too keen on the nutmeg personally and may try it without next time, but the boys ate 3 meatloaves each :). Otherwise made the recipe as shown, this will be a regular meal at our house. Thank you so much for another excellent recipe Lady :). Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring 2011.
For the Meat loaves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Glaze
- 3 tablespoons tbsps ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
For the root Veggies
- 3 large carrots
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1-Preheat oven to 375, Arrange oven racks to accommodate two dishes being cooked at the same time.
- 2- Put foil on baking sheet for easy clean up.
- 3-Prepare Veggies-Chop root vegtables to aprox 1/2" size,( flower bag ) put into a roaster bag for faster cooking.Toss all the vegtables into bag add 1tbl sp, plus 1 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs mix well in bag. Close bag cut 3 or 4 slits in top of bag place on baking sheet.Put on bottom rack of oven.
- 4- Now,prepare Glaze- In a sm bowl combine the ketchup, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.
- 5-In a large bowl, pour milk over bread crumbs.Set aside.
- 6- Mix turkey, cheese, egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Combine the mixture with your hands untill well mixed, it will be quite wet.
- 7-Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add onion and cook stirring occasionally untill soft and golden. about 5 minute Add spinach and stir untill just wilted. about 30 seconds.
- ( or add 1 tbl water to pan and put lid on to wilt spinach leaves, stir a little as needed ).
- 8-Transfer spinach and onions to bowl with soaked crumbs. Add the turkey mixture. Combine with your hands untill well mixed, it will be quite wet.
- 9-Tightly pack one cup of mixture into a one cup DRY measure cup. Invert the cup onto a rimmed foil lined baking sheet, gently shaking the cup to release the mixture. Gently pat and shape the mound. Repeat three times with remaining mixture.
- 10- Spoon glaze on top of each meatloaf, let dribble down the sides.
- Put into oven on top rack. ( Veggies should already be in oven ).
- 11-Bake mini meatloaves untill cooked through and light golden ( remember turkey is lighter than hamburger ) Aprox 1 hr to 1 1/4 hr , I like mine well done ! Take meatloaves and veggies out at same time.