Recipe by KLHquilts
From "Everyday Foods" No. 16 (Oct. 2004). I'm posting this at the request of my mother, who adores this recipe -- but she keeps losing her copy of the magazine. This'll keep the recipe safe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 slice white bread (good quality white sandwich bread)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons chili sauce (use Heinz, is there any other kind?)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large egg, graded large
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add onion, carrot and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Crumble in bread; add milk and 2 tablespoons of chili sauce. Stir to combine and cool completely.
- Add turkey, egg, and sage; season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine (go ahead and use your hands.).
- Divide mixture into four equal parts. Gently shape each into a 3"x4"x2" loaf and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush the remaining 4 Tbs. chili sauce over tops (1 tablespoons per loaf). Bake until meatloaves are cooked through, about 35-40 minutes.