Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This delicious turkey is marinated with the flavors of Cuba.
- 3 heads garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 0.5 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 (16 lb) whole turkey
- Crush the peeled garlic cloves, and place into a large bowl. Season with pepper, cumin, oregano, and salt. Pour in lemon juice, wine, and orange juice concentrate; whisk together until well mixed.
- Using a sharp paring knife, pierce the turkey breast, thighs, and legs; creating holes for the marinade to penetrate. Pour the marinade over turkey, and into the holes. Finally, stuff garlic pieces into the holes. Cover the turkey well, and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Roast turkey in the preheated oven until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees F (80 degrees C), about 5 hours. Baste the turkey every 30 to 45 minutes. Once the breast has browned, cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent it from becoming burnt.
I haven't actually made this, but I believe this is the same recipe my mom uses for her turkey and it is the BEST I've ever tried. My mom got the recipe from a newspapter listing it as the winner for their turkey competition.
You know, I was a bit disappointed with this recipe. I was imagining s moist, flavorful turkey and while it was moist, it really just tasted kind of bland. I am sorry -msybe next time I should double the amounts of the ingredients.