Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Love making a double-decker and adding a ton more cheese between the two portions. Why not? It’s my sandwich!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, sliced thin
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- rye bread
- Combine in a mixing bowl, the turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, milk, red pepper flakes and the garlic. Mix all together and form four, large patties in the shape of a football (actually, the shape and size of your rye bread). Place the patties onto a grill and cook for 5-6 minutes each side, until cooked completely through. Meanwhile, place the onions in a small frying pan with a little butter and caramelize, approximately 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Butter one side of the rye bread and on the non-butter side place the turkey patty, caramelized onions and two slices of the Swiss cheese. Cover the cheese with the second slice of rye bread and butter. Place the sandwich on a medium-high flat grill and cook until the bread turns a golden brown. Flip the sandwich and to toast the other side. While cooking, firmly press the sandwich with a large spatula.
- Once the cheese starts getting gooey, you have the perfect patty melt. Serve with pickles chips and a team pennant on the side.