Recipe by Manami
Maria Helm Sinskey's recipe won't make you moan as you did as a child - this meatloaf is sooooo gooood!!! When used the next day as a sandwich with grilled Cheddar cheese - watch out!! They say to serve it with Dijon mustard - well, we made a combination of ketchup and Dijon - fantastic!! Bon Appetit Magazine, October 2009 edition.:) 15 minute cooling period.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 2 cups day-old rustic style bread (1/3-inch cubes)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (for that extra kick)
- 1 lb ground turkey (15% fat)
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Brush 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/3-inch loaf pan with olive oil.
- Toss bread with broth in large bowl.
- Let stand until bread absorbs broth and softens, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in mushrooms, eggs, shallots, garlic, parsley, thyme, coarse salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes & 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add turkey; mix just until blended.
- Transfer to pan, mounding in center.
- Bake until thermometer inserted in center registers 170°F, about 1 hour 25 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.