Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I am on a low carb diet and was looking through some cookbooks for something "exciting". I took a few recipes, and made a few changes to fit my plan and boy oh boy! To my surprise this came out amazingly good. This will also work with the ground meat of your choice. But the turkey is lowest in fat/calories.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup oatmeal (old fashioned or cut ok)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or ground meat of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add the ground turkey and mix thoroughly with your hands. ( if you use a mixer, or over mix, your loaf will be tough) Place mixture in a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. OR for a "crusty" meatloaf, turn on to a jellyroll pan lines with foil, and shape into a loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour. Sprinkle the Parmesean cheese over the top and bake 15 minutes more, or until cheese melts and a meat thermometer reaches 160*. Let stand 5 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Really good! Surprised, it was so easy. Its not really like the old fashion meatloaf i am used to but really good. May make a few changes next time in the spices.