Recipe by SweetySJD
I got this out of a Light & Tasty magazine a couple years ago. I've made it several times. It is by far the best turkey meat loaf I've ever had!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs, soft
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egs, milk, lemon juice, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Add the bread crumbs, spinach and reserved onion; stir to combine. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix until blended.
- Shape mixture into a 12x5-inch loaf; place in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.Spoon salsa over top.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 mintues. Drizzle with butter; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.