Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a Diabetic cookbook. Dietary exchanges are 1 starch, 3 meat. Serves 4.
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (93% lean)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 spaghetti squash (12 to 16 ounces)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup minced green onion
- Mix bread crumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, red pepper, thyme and fennel seed in bowl. Mix ground turkey with egg whites in large bowl, and add seasoned crumbs. Knead mixture well. Cover and chill meat 10 minutes. Preheat broiler.
- Split squash in half. Remove seeds. Place in glass baking dish, cut side down. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons water. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 12 minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside to cool.
- Form 20 meatballs with chilled turkey. Put meatballs on pan; broil 4 to 5 minutes. Remove pan, turn meatballs over, and cook 4 minutes more. Mix tomatoes and broth in 12 inch skillet; simmer over low heat. Add meatballs, oregano, basil and green onion. Stir and cook until hot, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape squash into strands onto serving plate. Top with sauce and meatballs.