Recipe by Zetty66
A slow cooker recipe from the latest Rachael Ray Magazine. A nice fix it and forget it recipe for a busy weekday. Meatballs come out really tender. Serve over pasta.
Top Review by ~Bekah~
This is SO good. The sauce is amazingly simple and tastes incredible. The meatball are nicely seasoned, and melt in your mouth. You can't even tell that they are turkey. My husband would have preferred a more dense meatball, but I disagree. Absolutely great, I wouldn't alter a thing. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Transfer 1 1/3 cups of the onion mixture to a large bowl; let cool. Reserve the skillet.
- Using a food processor, puree the tomatoes and red peppers. Add the puree to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the paprika and season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large slow cooker, cover and set to low temperature.
- Whisk the bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspooon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into the remaining onion mixture. Mix in the turkey. Form 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.