1 hr 35 mins
This is like a mini meatball lasagna, I use my Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian) for this but you can use your own favorite tomato sauce, you will need about 7-8 cups of sauce for this recipe but you can use more sauce then stated when layering if desired, this is a great way to use up any leftover sauce that you have --- I have also made this recipe using my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs this recipe can be doubled and baked in a larger baking dish to feed a crowd, prep time includes preparing meatballs and cooking the pasta :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 7 cups favorite pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (can use 2 containers if desired)
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (can use less)
- 3/4-1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (can use 1 small yellow onion in place of green onions)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, slighty beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1For the meatballs, mix all meatball ingredients together adding in enough bread crumbs to bind the mixture together.
- 2Form into about 1-inch size balls.
- 3In a large skillet heat oil and cook the meatballs, shaking the skillet until browned and cooked through (about 6-7 minutes) transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain.
- 4Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until JUST firm-tender; drain.
- 5Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 6Grease a 4-quart baking dish.
- 7In a small bowl mix together shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- 8Spoon about 1-1/2 cups sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, then spread half of the meatballs on top of sauce.
- 9Then spoon HALF of the pasta on top.
- 10Spread HALF of the remaining sauce and HALF of the cheese mixture over pasta.
- 11Top with remaining meatballs and then drop dollups of ricotta cheese over meatballs.
- 12Spread remaining pasta over the ricotta.
- 13Top with remaining sauce, and then sprinkle with remaining mozza/Parmesan mixture.
- 14Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- 15Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Meatballs and Ricotta Bake With Penne
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1125.8
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 194.1 mg
- Sodium 2189.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.2 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 59.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: