Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This meal is hardy and delicious.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (fine)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 (28 ounce) canspeeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Mix first 7 ingredients and shape into 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Saute in large skillet until browned and no longer pink.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme. Then, add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt.
- Cut whole wheat bread in half on its side and then cut again width wise. Distribute meatballs in each bread piece. Then top with sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella over top and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.