Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rachel Ray makes this tasty comfort food with veal meatballs. We use turkey. It's yummy, warm, filling and freezes and reheats superbly as well!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli rabe, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- salt (to taste)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 lb orecchiette
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Bring a couple of inches of water to a boil in a medium skillet.
- Add salt to boiling water and the broccoli rabe and cook 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain rabe and reserve.
- While rabe cooks, heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium high heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add 3 cloves chopped garlic, carrots and onions.
- Cook 5 to 6 minutes, add white beans and heat through, a minute.
- Season veggies and beans with salt and pepper.
- Add drained rabe and the stocks and cover pot to bring to a quick boil.
- Add orecchiette and stir.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup to a low-roll, uncovered.
- Mix veal with egg, bread crumbs, cheese, sage and salt and pepper.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and drop into stoup.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve stoup in shallow bowls with crusty bread.
We liked this. It was easy and it came together relatively quickly. I probably would add some more seasonings to it next time, and perhaps a little less broccoli rabe; it just seemed like an awful lot. Also, the instructions called for garlic, carrot, and onions to be added, but nowhere in the ingredient list does it say anything about carrots. I like that you used turkey; I did too. Thank you.