Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pepper
- 14 uncooked manicotti
- 1 (28 ounce) jar reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place bulgur in a bowl and stir in water.
- Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Squeeze dry.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until it is no longer pink, drain.
- Add cottage cheese, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and bulgur.
- Mix well.
- Stuff into uncooked shells.
- Arrange into a 13x9x2 baking dish coated with non stick spray.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and water, pour over shells.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until shells are tender and sauce is bubbly.
- Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
This was so good. I was worried the bulgur would be weird, but I didn't even notice it. I used sweet italian sausage instead of ground turkey. Super yummy :)
Loved it! I don't think my area sells bulgur (couldn't find it!) so I had to leave it out. I cut the recipe in half & used 1/2 lb lean ground turkey. Used a low sugar spaghetti sauce, too. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but I was able to stuff 8 shells, not 7. I also added a couple of tbsp of parm cheese to the stuffing mix; personal preference. Baked up nicely & tasted great! Thank you for sharing.
Delicious! The flavors really turned out good. The burglar and the spices really added to the overall flavor. This was also easy to prepare since you don't have to boil the manicotti shells. Thanks for sharing.