Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another one of my favorite recipes. You can use Pace "HOT" or "MEDIUM" strength chunky salsa for this recipe.
- 1 lb uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 large mango, cubed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, kept hot
- Cook turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add oil to skillet and heat until sizzling.
- Stir in scallions, garlic, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, oregano and thyme.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in hot or medium chunky salsa and mango.
- Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve over brown rice.
Nice dishes, but found a bit unbalanced in flavour, so I have adjusted by added some hot pepper and smoked paprika.
Came across this recipe during the Zaar World Tour and decided it was a must try both for it's ease in preparation and the spice combinations. I did not have ground turkey breast and instead ran a section of a whole breast through the food processor. Since the meat was rather lean I used part of the oil in the initial cooking. I liked the use of mango as a twist on the more traditional inclusion of raisins. On tasting I really found the amount of cinnamon to be overwheling in relation the the other ingredients. I think a 1/2 teaspoon would be enough. To adjust, I added an extra 1/4 cup of salsa, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and a pinch of red pepper. For me that seemed to bring the combination a bit more into balance. Thanks Melody.
I used very lean turkey, and didn't drain it, so didn't add the canola oil. This was incredibly delicious!!!!