Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My boyfriend found this recipe on the Food Network website and we tweeked it to our taste. It is low fat, low calorie, low carb and delish!!! It can be made with ground turkey, ground chicken or ground beef. We liked it so much that we've had it a couple nights in a row before. There are never any leftovers!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, chopped (I don't care for mushrooms) (optional)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces water chestnuts, chopped (I don't care for these, either) (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce, plus
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 4 teaspoons spicy mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 8 large romaine leaves or 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves, cleaned and dried
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Brown the turkey in the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink. Drain oil off the meat. Return the meat to the pan and add the mushrooms, green onions, garlic, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts, and cook until the mushrooms soften, or 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar, stirring until the brown sugar is dissolved. Pour into the turkey mixture and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Drizzling Sauce:.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the ingredients. This is a very runny sauce. You can either leave it runny or add cornstarch and heat to thicken. Either way, thick or runny, you can add it to the turkey mixture at the end of cooking, or serve with the wraps to be added by individuals being served.
- Place the turkey meat, sauce and vegetables in the center of the lettuce leaf, roll up and eat.