Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an amalgamation I created from several recipes, and is absolutely delicious. Feel free to adjust meat and veggies according to your taste. Serves 6 as an appetizer, 3 if prepared as a main course. Thank you to Lavender Lynn for putting this in her best of 2010 cookbook!
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
Meat and vegetables
- 1⁄2-1 lb ground turkey, very lean or 1⁄2-1 lb veggie crumbles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce or 1 head bibb lettuce, washed, leaves separated
- cilantro (optional)
- basil (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Cook meat until done. Add garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, water chestnuts and scallions and continue to stir fry another minute or two.
- Add sauce to meat and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Serve meat on a platter, along with lettuce leaves, and optional herbs and lime wedges for squeezing. Enjoy!
These are EXCELLENT! we LOVED it. And the best part is, DH didn't mind the lettuce! I used ground chicken instead of turkey, added in balsamic vinegar instead of sherry and green pepper instead of red since that's what I had. Wonderful mix of flavours, I am not a huge fan of sesame oil and I initially thought 2 tsp of sesame oil would be a bit overpowering but it wasn't. Thank you, Maito, for sharing this wonderful recipe, I definitely will be making this again!
These were really really good..... I didn't have any dry sherry or rice vinegar so I used red wine vinegar instead.... I thought I had some when I began to make this but realized I didn't so I had to improvise..... The nutty flavor of the sesame oil and the water chestnuts really added to the flavor of this dish......Along with sweetness of the hoisin sauce and the little kick of the sweet chili sauce..... This dish was outstanding..... I used romaine lettuce for my wraps..... Thanks for sharing and pictures will be posted soon.....
Actually tagged & made this specifically for a neighborhood couple that I know enjoy mushrooms (which I don't, usually), so I rated the recipe strictly on their loud oos & ahs! They thoroughly loved it (especially the sauce), so it's likely to be made again sometime! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]