Recipe by Maito
This is an amalgamation I created from several recipes, and is absolutely delicious. Feel free to adjust meat and veggies according to your taste. Serves 6 as an appetizer, 3 if prepared as a main course. Thank you to Lavender Lynn for putting this in her best of 2010 cookbook!
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
These are EXCELLENT! we LOVED it. And the best part is, DH didn't mind the lettuce! I used ground chicken instead of turkey, added in balsamic vinegar instead of sherry and green pepper instead of red since that's what I had. Wonderful mix of flavours, I am not a huge fan of sesame oil and I initially thought 2 tsp of sesame oil would be a bit overpowering but it wasn't. Thank you, Maito, for sharing this wonderful recipe, I definitely will be making this again!
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
Meat and vegetables
- 1⁄2-1 lb ground turkey, very lean or 1⁄2-1 lb veggie crumbles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce or 1 head bibb lettuce, washed, leaves separated
- cilantro (optional)
- basil (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Cook meat until done. Add garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, water chestnuts and scallions and continue to stir fry another minute or two.
- Add sauce to meat and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Serve meat on a platter, along with lettuce leaves, and optional herbs and lime wedges for squeezing. Enjoy!