Recipe by Kasha
Earthy comfort food. Your kitchen will smell great for the 2-2.5 hours it takes to cook this and your guests will love you.
- 4 turkey drumsticks (about 5 pounds total)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse turkey and pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Dust turkey with flour mixture; set remaining flour mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add turkey, a few pieces at a time (do not crowd pan); cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a 4 to 6-quart baking pan.
- Add onions and garlic to frying pan; cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and wine, stirring to scrape browned bits free. Then add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary.
- Pour broth mixture over turkey, cover, and bake in a 350*F (175*C) oven until turkey is very tender when pierced, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Lift turkey from baking pan and arrange in a serving dish.
- Measure reserved flour mixture and blend with an equal amount of cold water; stir into pan juices. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Spoon some of the sauce over turkey; pour remainder in a small serving dish and offer to spoon over individual servings.