Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ina Garten's. My family loves.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking up with fork, until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15-20 minutes, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with hottest tap water. Add lasagna noodles and allow to sit in water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In medium bowl, combine ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, remaining 2 tablespooons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 sauce into 9 x 13 rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add layers as follows: half the pasta, half mozzarella, half ricotta, and one 1/3 of sauce. Add rest of pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, finally sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling.
Outstanding recipe! It's a regular around here. The only alterations I've done is typically using dried herbs (fresh are better but inconvenient) and low/no fat cheese. I'll build it the night before and bake the next day for diner.