Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an updated version of the classic Sloppy Joe.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground turkey. Next add chopped onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook until turkey is browned. Add chopped garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes on low. Serve on hamburger buns.
Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2008. I'm so glad I tried these because they're SO easy (almost as easy a opening a Manwich can) and are the best homemade sloppy joes I've tried! The red pepper cooks perfectly and adds little bits of sweetness throughout. I ended up adding at least double the amount of tomato sauce to make it sloppier, since we opened a large jar anyway. We enjoyed these open face over cornbread, and will definitely make them again.