Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From: The Border Cookbook Chill Time: 30 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 4 cups smoked turkey or 4 cups roasted turkey, shredded
- 1 cup jicama, cut into matchsticks
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce, preferably red, for garnish
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the pepitas and toast. They will be ready when they begin to snap and crackle. Put in a large bowl.
- Place the chile and garlic in the hot skillet and raise the heat to high to blacken and blister both. Halve and seed the chile and peel the garlic.
- Put the chile and garlic in the blender or food processor and add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and salt.
- Add the turkey and jicama to the pepitas and pour dressing over. Mix well.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro just before serving.
- Arrange Turkey-Jicama salad on lettuce and serve chilled.