1/1 Photo of Turkey Italian Sausage & Greens Soup
This is a low calorie soup with a lot of greens and veggies. It's a bit spicy from the sausage, but you can substitute plain ground turkey for the sausage. This recipe changes every time I make it - I put a lot of leftovers into the pot, but it always turns out delicious. Serve a big bowl with focaccia bread as a meal, as a starter, or as a quick lunch. This soup freezes and reheats well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey (Italian sausage style)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (to cook faster)
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 3 cups chard leaves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 -6 cups broth (I use chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (optional)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1-Brown ground meat in large sauce pot (6 quart with a lid).
- 2-Turn heat to low and layer the following vegetables on top of meat according to cooking time: carrots, onions, fennel, kale, chard, mushrooms.
- 3-Place the lid on the pan and allow vegetables to steam for about 20 minutes; then, fill up the pot with enough broth to completely cover the vegetables, you can add tomatoes at this time.
- 4-Cook until the carrots and fennel are tender, then add rinsed and drained garbanzo beans.
- 5-Place the fresh spinach in the bottom of your serving bowl and spoon the soup on top. The spinach should stay green and be simply wilted. This gives the soup a fresher taste.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Italian Sausage & Greens Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.0
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.4 mg
- Sodium 791.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 22.6 g