Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
this is a great dinner on a cold wintery night
- 1 turkey carcass
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce (i used at least 3)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 -3 cups chopped turkey
- 1 lb smoked sausage, chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tony chachere creole instant roux mix
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- put carcass in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil.
- Cook over low heat for 1.5 hrs.
- Drain turkey, reserve broth.
- remove meat from carcass
- add the instant roux and stir (add more if needed).
- add vegetables and cook until tender.
- add chicken broth, turkey, sausage and other seasonings, simmer 1 hour.
- Add 1 cup of uncooked rice and cook 20 minutes longer.
- (if the stew isn't thick enough, add several tablespoons of instant mashed potatoes. works every time)--.